The Moomie Blog and Forum

Top Ad Google

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
For moms wanting to take off their mommy hats and just be a woman. This thread is for anything and everything that has nothing to do with your children!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Its begining to look a lot like...

Its begining to look a lot like... 3 years 1 month ago #211613

• MissesMom
  • ( Admin )
  • Thank you received: 32
Christmas!!

Its my absolute favorite time of year! I'm seriously like a child at Christmas time.
This week-end I bought all of Em's pressies, and will get to work on Kates next week.

What tradiditions do you have over the festive season?

For us we have a few.
I have a tree for each person in the house - Em has one in her room covered in 24 bags, which have been filled with littl gifts, and each day in December she gets a bag - along of course with her advent calander.
Then we have the gift tree, which is covered in little wrapped gifts and sweeties, and each time people come to visit in December they can take something off the tree.

Then the 13th of December is Decorating day! 12 days before Christmas :)
We spend the day decorating, watching movies, baking cookies, and then I always order a plain cheese pizza for supper :)

I do a friends Christmas party normally on the 16th, where we do Secret Santa, and have a picnic.
On Christmas Eve we do the traditional sit down dinner, roasts, rich puddings, etc, with just close family.
Then on the day itself (I woke my parents up at 6am till the year I left home) we do a family breakfast, just us 4, and then head to my folks where we have an open house - tons of people, and each year do a different theme.

So I'm couting down the days :)

Would love to get ideas of what you all do as well.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 3 years 1 month ago #211617

• julz
  • ( Moderator )
  • Thank you received: 36
I am not big on Christmas. Probably since my family are all in the UK apart from my Gran who is in JHB for Christmas this year.

It has become tradition for us to go to my dear friend's home on Christmas eve where they have a huge tree and a santa and we all swap gifts. It is an open invite to all of their family so there is such a nice festive spirit. It is wonderful. All the children sit around and sing carols until santa arrives.

I must add that since we have Dylan, Christmas has become special again. We are not religious so it hasn't got that much meaning for us so it is a nice time to spend with loved ones.

On Christmas day we used to go to Movies, but now we just stay home or go for a picnic.

I read a nice idea recently for gifts. A family give each of their kids 4 gifts and they are named accordingly: I want, I need, I read, I wear. I think that is really nice so Neil and I may do that this year for each other but with a very small budget for each. Neil isn't big on gifts and we prefer to do things rather.

I guess we will put the tree up as always and on christmas we will play a Bing crosby cd which was a tradition growing up. It is really special and he reads children's chistmas letters from around the world and plays traditional christmas carols from various countries. It brings tears to my eyes each year.
Mom of Dylan and Partner to Joerg. We live in the Beautiful Pringle Bay which is along the Whale coast, Cape.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 3 years 1 month ago #211637

• flowergirl
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
  • Thank you received: 35
You have LOVELY xmas traditions MissesMom!!!!

We usually just have a picnic at home on xmas eve (usualyl at my sisters place) around the tree. We wait up until twelve (listening to carols or watching xmas movies). We usually do most of the cooking for xmas day on xmas eve as well. Then, we open gifts at midnight. Xmas morning, it's off to church, the kids open their gifts when we gt back from church. Then we have a HUGE family lunch (immediate family) and after lunch, the kids have a nap or play with their xmas gifts while we clean up and then we usually meet up with the extended family at someone's house.

I would like to add some extra special little traditions for Emily starting next year - MM, I like the xmas tree in the room idea.

forgot to add - we always did something for less fortunate kids in the week leading up to xmas (since I grew up on the cape flats, we had many needy children just outside our front door), so we usually gave to them. My brother or brother in law used to dress up as santa and hand out sweets or small gifts to the kids in the area and we also used to hire a jumping castle and put it up on the field for all the kids.

I would like to teach Emily to do something like this as well - I do the santa shoebox and want to get her involved as well as soon as she can understand a bit better.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by flowergirl.

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 3 years 1 month ago #211691

• MissesMom
  • ( Admin )
I agree its really important to teach the children about charity. Em is fully aware that there are children out there that dont have has much as her, and we often do charity events and fundraisers. And she will say "That is for the children who dont have anything" and give her own toys away to them.

Juls I love that idea about I want, I need, I read, I wear, might give that a go :)

Oh, and also, on Christmas Eve we watch "The Grinch" but the 1960's one, and then DH will "The Night Before Christmas"

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 3 years 1 month ago #211698

• Aunty Carrie
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!

I saw the Willowbridge Christmas store this morning and have had happy butterflies ever since :)

I love all the traditions! We also had the tree with our advent bags in our rooms growing up. Always a big family lunch on Christmas day.

Now that family has all moved away, its just me, mom and sis. But we have our own traditions.
Christmas eve we open 1 present and watch "Elf". Still roast for lunch on Christmas day, where anyone is welcome.

Cant wait to start buying presents. I get so excited :-D

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 3 years 1 month ago #212206

• NicoleP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I love Christmas and already so excited although Christmas day always feels so hectic and goes by sooo quickly okay so our traditions are as follows:

Keiran (my LB who is nearly 3) will get the advent calander this year for his room
We put the tree up usually at the beginning of December because i just get so excited to see Keirans reaction.

The day before christmas we usually spend getting things ready for the next day, play Christmas music, watch kiddies Christmas movies etc. In the evening we head off to the In laws house where we have the full on christmas meal - roast, salads, vegetables, pudding etc etc, after that we end home and wait until K has gone to bed where we put the presents out, put milk and biscuits out for Santa and dh and i relax and watch movies etc. Christmas morning as soon as K wakes up we open presents and just enjoy each others company etc, at about 09:30 we head of to the In Laws to open presents there, have coffee and mince pies. Then at about 12:00 we end of to one of my family members house where ALL the family is and we do present swopping, chatting etc, we have another full on christmas traditional lunch - gammon, roasts, salads, puddings etc and just spend some quality time together, usually by 14:30 - 15pm Keiran is shattered from all the excitment and we head off home where K will either play with his new toys or have a nap - the rest of the day we just spend quality time together feeling completed relaxed and overfeed lol.

I seriously cannot wait!!!!!!!!!

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 3 years 1 week ago #214823

• MissesMom
  • ( Admin )
Ok so we have advent bags that I hang on the girls tree's. With Em I have bought all the gifts for the bags. - Nail polish, hair chips, jewelrey and then sweeties. Half will be sweets, the other half gifts.

now what about Kate? Really how much is she really going to realise - but Em will ask why Santa didn't bring for Kate.
So I was thinking just sweeties? Chocolate lollipops, marshmallow? Any other ideas?

I still need to get Katie a tree as well. I know she will love it :)

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 3 years 1 week ago #214835

• Betty_F
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Christmas is my favorite time of the year to. And it's even more so because this year Matthew fully comprehends what is going on and he is so excited!

We start off the season going cherry picking with DH family, just outside Ceres. Always get loads of cherries, great to have for all the guests who come over, to make cherry liquor or just for us to feast on.

This year I am taking matthew to the Noddy Round. Table Christmas party and boy can't wait (and neither can I).

We normally put our tree up on the 16th when we enjoy Christmas mince pies ( ooooh how I love those). And eggnog.

With our friends we have a party that we dubb "black Christmas". Not sure why, but each year we dress us in a different theme. Each person brings a gift that they have received throughout the year which is not useful to them, but may be useful to someone else. We wrap the gifts in newspaper and do like a secret Santa.

We also do a picnic with friends and go to the carols at Kirstenbosch gardens.

Then with my family we go to a children's party in the park where they live. They have a magic show and Santa arrives. The little ones love it.

Christmas eve is normally spent trying to wrap 10000 gifts....hope to be more organized this year.

Before having children we always attended midnight mass with DH family The afterwards we went to each family members house for a toast and a gift. Was fun, but normally only got to bed in the wee hours.

Nowadays we stay in and wait for Santa. On Christmas we go to church (as we do every Sunday). We alternate years with my family and itch DH's family.
I do lunch at our house with my family or we go to DH family.
This year it is at our house....

Then on boxing day we meet up with friends - each bring a plate of leftovers and enjoy the day.

So all in all it is a very busy time- so much so that after that we go away on our annual holiday for a week or 2...

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 3 years 1 week ago #214839

• MissesMom
  • ( Admin )
Betty that sounds fab!

We also do the Cherry picking, go with my gran each year.
Had to miss last year because of my swollen pregnant state, so really looking forward to this year!

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 2 years 11 months ago #216240

• Kinderelomelo
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
  • Thank you received: 5
You all have lovely traditions. I used to be extremely excited about Christmas but since being married it's hard getting too excited as my DH doesn't make a big deal of it at all. Also what I would like to do and what I can afford to do are two different things all together.

Here Goes

I give my Kids Advent calenders (The kind you buy at clicks or Woolies only I have had them in my car and forgot to give them to my kids this morning but they can open them tonight)
We put up our tree on the 12th of December as per tradition but this year it's going to be harder to wait because my daughter has been hounding me since last weekend already to put it up. We have a plastic tree but this year I really want a "Real" tree so I have to wait till the Round Table starts selling them. I have already done a little Christmas shopping, we usually as a combined family only buy gifts for Kids and then I buy for my Mom and Sister and Husband but all the Aunts uncles and Cousins don't get from us as it just works out way too expensive. We traditionally spend Christmas Eve together as a combined extended family because of our Norwegien heritage where we first sing carols and the kids when they are older used to perfom a little skit (They are all to small at the moment) Then it's presents time and then Dinner which is a Bring and Share and it's usually cold but we have tons of different meats & Salads follwed By Christmas Pudding, Trifle and Ice-cream and of course Mince pies. We used to go to Midnight mass but we don't do that anymore because since I have been married we are no longer in the Anglican Church and so we don't. Christmas day usually means getting up for Church and then in afterwards in previous years we would just get together with my parents and Sister and eat Left overs or Braai. This year we will have lunch with my Sister. This year I am also giving my kids main gift on Christmas eve and then they are getting a "Christmas bag/stocking" Filled with little individually wrapped small gifts on Christmas morning.

So tha't it nothing fantastic or elaborate. But it's nic eall the same.

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 2 years 11 months ago #216250

• julz
  • ( Moderator )
Toy Zone have little snow globes that have names on them to hang on the tree. I bought one for Dylan, Dad and Mom and will surprise them when we put the tree up this weekend. Boy am I glad I named my son Dylan. You can get almost anything with his name printed on it.
Mom of Dylan and Partner to Joerg. We live in the Beautiful Pringle Bay which is along the Whale coast, Cape.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 2 years 11 months ago #216251

• Kinderelomelo
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
  • Thank you received: 5
jul.zd.ylan wrote:
Toy Zone have little snow globes that have names on them to hang on the tree. I bought one for Dylan, Dad and Mom and will surprise them when we put the tree up this weekend. Boy am I glad I named my son Dylan. You can get almost anything with his name printed on it.

Lol same with Zoe! Where is Toy Zone? I want something special for the tree this year.

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 2 years 11 months ago #216254

• flowergirl
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
  • Thank you received: 35
Julz, love the snow globe idea - i am going to check it out. Sure I will find 1 for Emily as well - mom and dad have terrible names, so won't find ours, but sure I'll get an Emily :)

I seriously need to make a list tonight and start getting things done before I wake up and its xmas morning and I haven't done a thing. Not sure what is happening this year, but instead of things calming down at work, it has just gotten CRAZY all of a sudden - soooooo busy!!

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 2 years 11 months ago #216255

• julz
  • ( Moderator )
They have one named "MOM" and one named "DAD"

2km I went to the one in Sable square. Not sure if there are any in Somerset west, but chances are there is one. I think Cardies or CNA were selling them. The woman told me that they were sold elsewhere, but a bit more expensive.

Re: Its begining to look a lot like... 2 years 11 months ago #216258

• MissesMom
  • ( Admin )
Oh I so need to go get those globes!!
  • Page:
Moderators: julz, MissesMom