The Moomie Blog and Forum

Top Ad Google

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Whether you are trying to conceive, already pregnant or nearing your due date, connect with other moms and share the experience.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience?

Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #193385

• Chanz
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi ladies

i am 20 weeks pregnant and its my first pregnancy. I started bleeding today and got admitted to maternity ward.my cervix/uterus ruptured and they gave me stitch.i am on bedrest for the rest of my pregnancy.they hpe to get me to 28wks so bubs can have a better chance.

Has anyone gone through this and how was your experience and outcome?
[link=http://lilypie.com]This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.[/link]
[link=http://lilypie.com]This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.[/link]
[link=http://daisypath.com]This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.[/link]
TTC for just over 2 years 2009-2011 Male & Female Infertility
PCOS and IR diagnosed in 2010 put on glucophage
No BFP after 6 months
2010- one MC (nature took it's course) :( One more angel in heaven :)
First FS appointment Jan 2011, PCOS confirmed to be extremely severe. No ovulation and hormones completely imbalanced.
Jan 2011-first medicated cycle with normal intercourse = BFN
Feb 2011-...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #193391

• julz
  • ( Moderator )
  • Thank you received: 36
Hi Chanz

I am so sorry for all that you are going through. It must have been really scary. Thankfully they managed to get a stitch in so I will be thinking of you.xxx

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #193396

• Hasie.
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
  • Thank you received: 43
Hey Chanz, i have no experience with what you are going through but i wish you all the best during this difficult time. Rest a lot and take things easy. Hopefully bubs can stay in a little longer.
Keep us updated.
Professional birth supporter / doula
Antenatal educator (Hypnobirthing practitioner)

www.BeautifullyBorn.co.za

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #193407

• Roses
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Chanz

I also had the stitch when I was preggies with LO. The experience was good & bad... good because I had this sense of *safety* for my unborn LO... but also bad because everytime I wanted to do things from 30 weeks it was abit uncomfortable & sometimes sore because of the baby's weight.

Have lots of bedrest & avoid standing/walking for more than 2hrs at a time...

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #193921

• Hasie.
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
Hi Chanz,

How are you and the LO doing? Everything ok?

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #194025

• Chanz
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Hello Ladies

Thank you all so much for your warm wishes and prayers. We really appreciate it alot.

I finally got discharged yesterday. So am home now. Dr says its gonna be a 50 50 chance now. If I can just carry to 28 weeks then at least baby will have a better chance of surviving.
So now its real strict bedrest for me. I have to keep my hips elevated mostly so the stitch isnt under pressure.

@ Rose at how many weeks did you have your stitch put in?

I really dont know what i am going to do with myself until bubs is born. Lol cant even do shopping. So my family has been a great help. Our house is currently being painted inside and outside. So everything is a mess. But my dad organised a maid for me today. And the painting inside is almost done. So my cousin and other sister will help with getting the baby room ready. I also have to get my and baby's bag packed. Will have to send family to shop for me.
As much as I am not happy to just lay in bed all day, I am happy to do it if it means having a healthy baby.

You know we struggled to fall preggers for 2 years and thanks to fertility treatment this is our miracle baby. So I was so scared when this all happened on Sunday. Life is so precious. Just glad that God has blessed us ;)

Hope you all have a great day ;)
[link=http://lilypie.com]This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.[/link]
[link=http://lilypie.com]This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.[/link]
[link=http://daisypath.com]This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.[/link]
No BFP after 6 months
First FS appointment Jan 2011, PCOS confirmed to be extremely severe. No ovulation and hormones completely imbalanced.
Feb 2011-...

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #194054

• TaNasha
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
What a big scare Chanz! But glad everything is ok now!

Hope baba can stay put for as long as possible!

And you just need to relax, as difficult as that might be! And you can still shop- internet shopping is also fun!

Good luck!

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #194061

• Sicha
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Hello Chanz, This is what I experienced as I have an incompetent/weak cervix. I lost my baby in 2009 at 22 weeks due to an incompetent cervix. I also had bleeding but for me it was too late to put the cerclage then because my cervical length was already too short. That was my first pregnancy and my doc did not know that I could have an incompetent cervix because i have never had any procedures done down there. So he did not have any reason for doing cervical scans(This is not meant to scare you)

I fell pregnant again in Dec 2009. My doc started doing cervical length scans from my first appointment, these are done vaginally. At 13 weeks my cervical length was 4.2cm and at 17weeks it had shortened to 3.2cm. At that point my doc booked me in for the cerclage and it was done that same week. I stayed at home for a week, then went back to work. With an incompetent cervix, you have to rest as much as you can, no hard work.
I didn't experience anything else out of the ordinary afterwards. My LG was born via c-section on 10 August last year. They took out the cerclage during the c-section after the baby was born. I had taking the cerclage off is also a bit painful.

There is an international organisation called Sidelines. Their website address is www.sidelines.org/. They are also on facebook and twitter. They are a non-profit organization providing international support for women and their families experiencing complicated pregnancies and premature births. I used them during my pregnancy and my support person was of great help. What they do is they link you up with someone who has had a similar experience as you and you get to chat and the person usually gives you lots of support.

I hope and pray that everything works out well for you and the baby.
1st angel - into God's hands @ 22weeks
2nd angel - into God's hands @6w6d

3rd angel - EDD 17 August 2010, c-section 10 August 2010
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

4th angel - EDD 29 May 2011

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #194069

• Hasie.
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
Sending some serious prayers your way Chanz!! Stay in bed and keep us updated. Wish you all the best!!

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #194072

• Justine
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
dear Chanz,
just wanted to wish you all the best and to say that like me, there are probably hundreds of ladies on this forum, quietly reading your thread, who are crossing fingers/toes that you lo makes it.
if i was a praying person i'd be adding LOTS of prayer, but i'll leave that up to those with better credentials!
*hug*
Justine

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #194123

• Nels_n
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Chanz all will be fine. Just relax and follow the Dr advice. Am praying for you. Strongs
Amara Nyiko born 2 December 2009 Weight 3.30
[link=http://www.eticker.co.za/]This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.[/link]

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #194263

• Chanz
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi ladies

Thanks Sicha for your experience. Really helpful. I have also been wondering if I would experience this with number 2. So at least I know dr has to monitor.
I have a real personal question for you Sicha. After your suture was put in, did you have a milky kinda discharge for a couple days afterwards?

So now I need to get my and baby's bags ready. What did you ladies find absolutely necessary? I am wondering whether I should pack just newborn and tiny clothes or if I should pack newborn and a couple 0-3 months.
No BFP after 6 months
Feb 2011-...

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #194277

• Sicha
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Hello Chanz,

I had a discharge and some discomfort but the discomfort was gone in a week. My gynae had warned me about both and he advised me to use panty liners. So I was using them for the rest of my pregnancy because I still had the discharge. My gynae explained that the suture is a foreign object in the body thats why there will be the discharge.
Each time you go for check-ups just ask your doctor to check that the suture is still in place and still holding the cervix closed.
My gynae told me that I most likely will need the suture each time i get pregnant but he will definitely be doing the cervical scans to see how my cervix shortens and from that determine whether he will put in one.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and the baby.

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #194278

• Aribeth
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
you shouldnt pack anything! hubby should pack for you. :)

i had 2 full term normal pregancies, my son born at 39 weeks, 2.9kg and my daughter at 37 weeks, 3kg, new born was huge on both on them and they wore premie cloths, so i think premie and newborn will be fine. 0-3 months is like 5-7kg if im not mistaken and i highly doubt ur lo will be that big. best of luck and ur in my prayers.

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #194282

• Sicha
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I think its best to wait until you have had your follow up visit and your doctor has told you how the suture is before you start buying tiny baby clothes. If your suture holds fine then you will end up stuck with tiny clothes that you wont use. When you are in this situation the best is to take each day as it comes and remembering that each day the baby is in the tummy increases their chance of survival.

My doctor also told me I had 50/50 chance with the suture because he said there was a chance of my body rejecting it. Unless your body rejects the suture you have a very high chance of carrying the baby to term.

All the best

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #195172

• Sicha
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Chanz,

Thinking of you. How are you and baby doing?

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #195219

• Chanz
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Sicha

Thanks for the concern. Well had my follow up today and baby and I are both doing very well. Even got a peek at the gender :woohoo: It's a BOY. I think the main thing is that my body hasnt rejected the suture. Which is awesome.
LOL DH and I were both besotted with the screen that we didnt get around to asking all the questions lol :blink:
Personal question- did your doc condone intercourse or non penitrative intercourse?

I really am counting our blessings ;)
No BFP after 6 months
Feb 2011-...

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #195221

• julz
  • ( Moderator )
  • Thank you received: 36
Chanz I am so thrilled that things are going well! Congrats on it being a boy. xxx

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #195226

• Joybaby
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Chanz I'm so glad that you managed to have the stitch done in time, you are very lucky as most ppl its too late by the time that happens.

I've not had it myself but know a few ppl who have.
Typically they dont do it much later than 17 or 18 weeks as pressure already very much, and typically they do it sooner as Sicha said at 13 weeks.
So dr's instructions of STRICT bedrest, and keeping off your feet and legs elevated sounds spot on. Also no strenuous work or anything that can cause any unnecessary physical stress. Really try not do anything besides bath, brush ur teeth, go to the loo. Get someone to buy you one of those electronic books (Excuse my ignorance?) or get lots of books, borrow someome's laptop and get a dstv subscription.

From 24weeks the chances of babies survival if born early gets stronger as the weeks progress, but the longer the better.
I heard from a friend of mine that her Dr will send her for steroid injections closer to 30 weeks just in case baby comes early.

Oh and on intercourse - I'm pretty sure any kind of penetration is a big no no. Rather talk to your doctor but I think you should find other ways for the next while.

Thinking of and praying for you and babs.
And congratulations on the blue :)

Re: Anyone had a ruptured cervix/uterus experience? 2 years 9 months ago #195342

• Sicha
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Chanz,

Congrats on your little boy. I am so happy that your suture is in place and all is ok with you and the baby yay. They say the procedure is successful in 85% to 90% of cases. So now all you need is to relax and try to enjoy the pregnancy :cheer: . Set yourself milestones and celebrate once you reach those. I remember after the suture our first milestone was reaching 22 weeks (our first loss). I remember I could not relax before I reached this milestone and I actually asked to have an appointment with my gynae at 22 weeks just to make sure all was still fine.
2nd milestone was at 24 weeks, this meant our baby's viability was a bit high..........
This sort of gave us something else to think about i.e. how we will celebrate.

Get yourslef something to do while you are in bed. You can knit or chrotchet(sp).

I remember my gynae advised us to abstinence from sexual intercourse for one week before and also at least one week after the procedure. Thereafter he said we could do what we want. Considering our loss before, we decided to abstain for the rest of the pregnancy. It was difficult but we sort of did not have an option.

The other things my gynae told me to watch out for and to get in touch with him if I noticed any of them were
-Contractions or cramping
-Lower abdominal or back pain that comes and goes like labor pain
-Vaginal bleeding
-Nausea and vomiting
-Foul-smelling vaginal discharge
-Your water breaking or leaking

I will keep praying for you. All the best.

• Page:
Moderators: julz, MissesMom