The Moomie Blog and Forum

Top Ad Google

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Whether you are trying to conceive, already pregnant or nearing your due date, connect with other moms and share the experience.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pregnant Durban Mommies

Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220439

• Rosebud
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Ladies,

I am 15w 5d pregos with baby no2. I had my son at Westville hospital with Dr Margolis; this time round i am at Hillcrest private hospital, does anyone have any experience or know of someone who has had a baby there? i am with Dr Akpun this time.
I've heard terrible things about Dr Ventress so its sort of made me worry about the hospital in general now... lol i know its silly.
Any info will be appreciated, as well as where you had or having your babes=)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220440

• michellejvv
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Rosebud,

I'm also a durban moomie... I must admit when I saw in your post "Hillcrest Private Hospital'' my first thought was oh please don't let this poor lady be with Dr Ventress!! :ohmy: Quite relieved when I read further and you said you're with Dr Akpun. I don't know Dr Akpun but I don't think you have anything to worry about with Hillcrest Private Hospital, I've only heard the best about the Hospital, it's Dr Ventress who's the problem- there are issues with her going back to the time she was still at Crompton Hospital.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosebud

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220442

• Rosebud
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
What a relief =) where are you having your baba??

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220444

• michellejvv
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
I'm with Dr Naseera Mahomed- she practices out of Westville & Nu Shifa Hospital... we decided to go with Nu Shifa Hospital because they have an active birth unit- birth balls, jacuzzi, you can move around, you are allowed to sit up or squat when giving birth etc and also Nu Shifa is half the price of Westville - R6500 vs R18700 for natural birth.

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220451

• Rosebud
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow that is a difference; does the hospital have a website??

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220452

• michellejvv
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
www.lenmedhealth.co.za/shifa.htm

Also with the latest issue of Your Pregnancy there is a 'giving birth' supplement with the magazine and at the back of the supplement there is a comparison of all the different private hospitals in the different provinces- Nu Shif is there under KZN and it was interesting to see how they compared with the other private hospitals.

I had my "tour" of the maternity unit early Jan when I booked my bed and I was so blown away by how clean and efficient the hospital was and the security around the maternity ward and the nursery. From the outside it looks like this pokey little hospital in Randles Road, Overport but once you get inside it's a different story. I also forgot to mention that you get a free 4d scan as part of your booking fee- just like the bigger hospitals.

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220459

• Juandre
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Rosebud,

I have also only heard good things about the Hillcrest hospital. It's only Dr Ventress that one should stay clear of!!!!

I am having my baby in 2 weeks time at Crompton- This will be my third baby born there.

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220533

• Rosebud
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Oh wonderful :) congrads mommys;) When did you find out your babys gender through ultasound??

I have heard crompton is much better than Westville...

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220537

• Juandre
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
We have decided with this baby not to find out the gender- they can usually tell you at your 16 week scan. We knew with our 2 girls what we were having but dont want to know this time.

All my friends that have gone to Westville have been happy with their gynae's but not with the service at the hospital.

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220561

• *LOLA*
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Rosebud

I am also 15 weeks with baby no.2. I dont live in Dbn at the moment but will be moving to Dbn in May and have been doing some research on the hospitals in Dbn. I was so excited when I came across Hillcrest Private Hospital cos its exactly what I had been looking for. I gave birth to my first baby at Linkwood in Johannesburg and had been looking for a similar hospital in Durban. I noticed there were only 3 Gynaes that deliver there. would you recommend Dr Akpun. While the hospital seems great I would much prefer a reputable gynae than hospital so defnitely need to find a good Gynae.
How did u come across Dr Akpun?

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220564

• michellejvv
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
@Juandre... are you with Dr Bassa at Crompton? I've only heard the best things about him and he was my first choice but he was just so busy and I couldn't get in to see him so I went with my second choice of Dr Mahomed and I don't regret it at all, love her to bits. And small world I know the head of the maternity unit @ Crompton, Ronel, and you are so right, the Crompton Maternity Unit is world class. If I wasn't having to pay cash for the birth, I would have gone with Crompton but I'm not unhappy with my choice of Nu Shifa as they also have an active birth unit.

@Rosebud... I found out at about 17 weeks that we're having a little girl and this was confirmed by the foetal anatomy scan at 20 weeks.

@Lola... If you decide to go with Hillcrest Private Hospital, stay far away from Dr Ventress!!

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220577

• Juandre
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Michelle- yes I am with Bassa- he has delivered all my babies. He is the most amazing man.

Lola- I agree with Michelle- stay away from Dr Ventress. Perhaps have a look at Crompton too as it has an active birth unit and a lovely maternity ward. Dr. Bassa practices at Crompton and he is wonderful.

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220669

• *LOLA*
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the tips and the warning about Dr Ventress. Will defnitely look into Crompton hospital as well.
all the best with the rest of your pregnancy.

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #220853

• Rosebud
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
@ Lola, i had heard bad things about Dr Ventress, and a friend was seeing doctor Akpun, so i decided to go to him, he really took his time and answered all of my questions.. The hospital is absolutely stunning :) i go on Tuesday for my next scan i will be about 18 weeks so very exited!!

@Juandre, i was also relatively happy with my westville gynae, hospital was great but service was not the greatest... The staff were not informative and i never comfortable because no one had a smile on their face...

Re: Pregnant Durban Mommies 2 years 4 months ago #221417

• *LOLA*
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Rosebud. I will give Dr Akpun a call. Is his consulting rooms at the Hillcrest Hospital? Did u do a tour of the maternity ward? I have been to the Hillcrest Private Hospital Website and was very impressed with the pics but I cant wait to actually go for a tour of the maternity ward. How did your scan go? Do u know what u having yet? I am going in for my next appointment next thurs and cannot wait to find out. Really hoping for a LB as we have a 2 year old LG.
  • Page:
Moderators: julz, MissesMom