The Moomie Blog and Forum

Top Ad Google

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Whether you are trying to conceive, already pregnant or nearing your due date, connect with other moms and share the experience.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Where to give birth

Where to give birth 2 years 8 months ago #220464

• Sassy
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Guys

I am all new to this and would really just like to have someone tell me what and where to go from here before I explode :sick:

Can anyone tell me which hospitals are a better option to give birth at in the Northern Suburbs? Well looking at Cape Gete Medi Clinic, Kuilsriver and Louis Leipoldt Medi Clinic. This part really has me pulling my hair... So if you could be so kind and share some experiences with me please...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 8 months ago #220467

• yoza
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I was at panorama mediclinic for both pregnancies. I find experiences differ with people. I was happy with the services i recieved.

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 8 months ago #220469

• Huggles
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
I gave birth at 24 weeks at Cape Gate medi clinic in 2010. Unfortunately the baby didn't survive. The staff were all absolutely amazing and super compassionate. I really could not fault a single person. I would gladly recommend that hospital.

Last year (2011) I gave birth at 36 weeks at Durbanville medi clinic. I once again received wonderful care and was very happy with my experience there as well. I will probably go back there if/when i have another baby (my gynae only delivers there now which is why i didn't go back to cape gate).

2 friends of mine were at kuilsriver. One had her baby at 40 weeks last year (2011). She wasn't overly happy there, wished she could leave after the first day. No-one was willing to take her baby to the nursery so she could get some sleep. And they shouted at her when she tried to feed her baby more often than every 3 hours.
My other friend gave birth there at 31 weeks (in 2010) and her baby spent 6 weeks in nicu there. She speaks very very highly of the hospital and the care both the parents and the baby received in the nicu.

Another friend of mine gave birth at Louis Leipoldt at I think 38 weeks (in 2009). She was very happy with her experience there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AngeliqueSA

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 8 months ago #220480

• Joybaby
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
I stay in Kraaifonten - literally 5 minutes from Cape Gate. But I chose to give birth at panorama. Because we're close to the highway its a 20 minute drive.
I had friends who'd had good experiences there and my gynae works at both Durbanville MC and Panorama, so I chose Panorama.
But if he worked at Cape Gate I would've gone there.

Never been to Louis Leipoldt but heard one horror story of a mom being given pethidine injection without being told what they were giving her, she had made it clear she didn't want it, and had a horrible reaction.
I know one lady who had a c/sec at Kuils River and had a good experience.

My first choice now is Panorama, but not because of hospital preference (although I must say they are absolutely fantastic) but because of the paed and because my first born has heart problems that my paed has dealt with her entire life, and I want the security that he'll be there for the 2nd birth.
I believe that Cape Gate is very similar in comparison to Panorama and also have a very good NICU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AngeliqueSA

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 8 months ago #220482

• Sassy
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you all so much for the responses.

Yoza I think thats a bit to far lol. Thank you though.

Huggles if possible could you tell me your gynies name from Cape Gate and Durbanville. I am really sorry for your loss from the bottom of my heart Lotsa hugs and kisses...

I will probably have to go and have a look at the hospitals then and that is what I am dreading the most lol. I was in ER at Cape Gate on Thursday and the nurse was sooooo lovely and so was the GP so kinda familiar with that hospital.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Huggles

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 8 months ago #220483

• Sassy
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Joybaby How long do you think it will take in peak to get to panoroma? and what is your gynies name if you dont mind me asking? thank you dearly for your response

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 8 months ago #220486

• Huggles
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
I'm with Dr Wynand Truter.
In 2010 he delivered at both cape gate and durbanville, but in 2011 he decided to rather stick to just 1 hospital (durbanville).

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 8 months ago #220487

• Sassy
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
How do you get the picture with how far long you are? I only found this website today lol so still figuring it out.

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 8 months ago #220488

• Sassy
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you huggles. So you know I have narrowed my options down to Cape Gate and Panoroma... I actually need to decide by Wednesday lol on the doc and hospital wow...

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 8 months ago #220600

• Kaye
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Sassy

I'm also with Dr Truter. I had my son in 2010 at Cape Gate and will be having my next boy this month at Durbanville only because he doesnt work at Cape Gate anymore.

I had an overall really good experience at Cape Gate - the equipment is all new, the nurses were nice. As there aren't many gynaes there, (I think only one permanent one on staff?), the maternity ward is quite empty so you're pretty much guaranteed a room by yourself at no extra cost. They also have some very good paeds, and I'll actually move my new baby to the paed at Cape Gate after his birth as I've been very happy with my son's paed there. I've also heard very good things about Panorama, I think for me the only negative is that it can be quite busy and full of babies and moms! At Cape Gate I was able to ask the nurse to take my son for a little while when I just needed a break, and I knew they had so few babies to care for so would give him lots of attention.

Hope this helps!

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 7 months ago #220698

• wannabmummy
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
I am looking for a facility to give birth in southern suburbs .....please help!

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 7 months ago #220713

• Joybaby
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi there

I know friends who have given birth at Kingsbury and Vincent Polati who are very happy with the experience.
Also Cape Town Medi Clinic comes highly recommended.

There's also Mowbray Maternity if you are wanting a more natural atmosphere, they only do natural births here and if you need an emergency c/sec you'll go across to the government side for it.

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 7 months ago #220717

• spiral
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
You can try Alnisa maternity home in Rondebosch 021 696 8892 www.alnisamatenityhome.co.za A midwifery led private unit R5000 for delivery.

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 7 months ago #220730

• Sassy
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Kaye I would actually like to go to Cape Gate but know none of the gynecologist there so rather not but I know its a lovely hospital was in ER there a few weeks ago, the staff are lovely. But with the choices of gynecologist na...

wannabmummy I would say Kingsbury with Dr Olarogun Or Ronderbosh Medi-Clini also with Dr Olarogun. They both very good I am actually with the 1 in Ronderbosh but because of where I live I have to move closer to home :(

So everybody I am settling with Panorama just didn't choose a doc yet... Considering Miempie, Venter or Lulme.

Re: Where to give birth 2 years 7 months ago #220731

• Sassy
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Kaye I would actually like to go to Cape Gate but know none of the gynecologist there so rather not but I know its a lovely hospital was in ER there a few weeks ago, the staff are lovely. But with the choices of gynecologist na...

wannabmummy I would say Kingsbury with Dr Olarogun Or Ronderbosh Medi-Clini also with Dr Olarogun. They both very good I am actually with the 1 in Ronderbosh but because of where I live I have to move closer to home :(

So everybody I am settling with Panorama just didn't choose a doc yet... Considering Miempie, Venter or Hulme.
  • Page:
Moderators: julz, MissesMom