The Moomie Blog and Forum

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Whether you are trying to conceive, already pregnant or nearing your due date, connect with other moms and share the experience.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Discovery Hospital Plans

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98324

• Vixie Pixie
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
  • Thank you received: 2
Joli- I only wanted to avoid the Delts scheme because the list of GP's were none i would want to go to, then the hospital they suggest is like a death trap. I just like to use the same GP we've been using for years, i feel comfortable with him so for me it was worth paying a little bit more for the Classic core and also 200% hospital coverage in the Life hospitals basically means I'll almost never have to pay in anything for any circumstance because lets face it medical care is expensive.

But really MA is a rip off, totally but who can really afford not to have it when most of the countries Govt hospitals are so bad. Just imagine you had a car accident now in the middle of this strike debarcle, no ways, i wouldn't want to go to a Govt hospital so we will always try to at least afford a hospital plan.

But now having been on the hospital plan we do say even when financially times are better we won't have a MA savings again, that really is a rip off!
Baby Bear Creations
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. www.babybear.co.za

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98328

• *Joli*
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
Vix - tell me quick - so whenever you go to the dr etc. you just pay cash as well as dentist etc? And then you are just covered in hospital? I've been thinking if I can save like R1000 a month, that's R12 000 a year - I don't think we will spend more than that on dr. fees, dentist etc.

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98347

• Vixie Pixie
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
exactly that!

i pay cash (which quite often carries a cheaper fee!) for all of my day to day medical expenses (i just learnt to ask for the generic meds too because that saves a lot) and the hospital plan will pay out for admissions.

But if you actually look at the PMB list you'll see you're entitled to a few extra things covered too. Like PCOS treatment i know someone was covered on a hospital plan for that too.

we saved over R12,000 in the past year i think it was more like R14/15,000 and our total out of pocket expendature on medical bills was approx R2,200 (o.k that's without what i will be spending with the gynae this year, I'm just working on last tax years info)

but with C i paid cash for everything and in total all 12 of his consultations came to a total of R3,500 approx, and now we are getting 9 of those back from Discovery anyways.
Baby Bear Creations
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. www.babybear.co.za

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98350

• *Joli*
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
Oh Gosh OK I just saw Garden City is not a network hospital! And I so don't like the other hospitals close to me. Sherbet. You are allowed to go to any other hospital, but then you must pay in R3850 when you are admitted. Now I'm at starting point again :-(. Really not sure what to do. Maybe I should keep my medical aid the way it is until baby arrives.

Here's the list:

Gauteng
Arwyp Medical Centre
Life Bedford Gardens Hospital
Bougainville Private Hospital
Life Brenthurst Clinic
Life Carstenhof Clinic
Clinix Private Hospital – Lesedi
Clinix Private Hospital – Sebokeng
Clinton Clinic
Emfuleni Medi-Clinic
Life Fourways Hospital
Legae Private Hospital
Lenmed Clinic Limited
Life Little Company of Mary
Louis Pasteur Hospital
Midvaal Private Hospital
Morningside Medi-Clinic
Life Robinson Private Hospital
Life Roseacres Clinic
Suikerbosrand Clinic
The Donald Gordon Medical Centre
Life Wilgeheuwel Hospita

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98356

• Vixie Pixie
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
Joli- you onlu have to use a network hospital if on a Delta plan,

I was just accepted for Life The Glynwood in full and i see it's not on your list.
Baby Bear Creations

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98376

• *Joli*
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
Vix - the only two plans on the lower level without any blue circled stars are classic saver (the one I'm on now) and then classic core (the one you are on). So I'm really confused. Look here - sorry to take up your time, but maybe you can help me :-). If there's only 1 star circled it seems you still have to use a network hospital.

www.discovery.co.za/portal/loggedout-ind...th-plan-compare-2010 This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98398

• Vixie Pixie
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
o.k so that's why i can use any hospital still, I'm apparently on the highest hospital plan.

So if you moved to the classic core would you save much from what you're on now?
Baby Bear Creations

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98409

• *Joli*
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
There's a difference of R647 (it's only the 2 girls and I). I'm not really happy not to be able to go to any hospital. I don't mind their network doctors as both my GPs are on there, but the hospital is a big problem for me. I'm gonna try and find out re that 1 star circle only.

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98419

• Vixie Pixie
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
what was the list you posted? for 2 stars? maybe try for the 1 star list but R647 isn't that bad if it means you get to birth where you want to.
Baby Bear Creations

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98432

• Vixie Pixie
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
saying that Joli, R647 x 6m = R3882 which is close on what they would you said the pay in would be hey? so really not worth it for you to swap to anything lower, see i was on the priority classic so swapping to Classic core saved me about R1200 per month and i can still use any hospital.
Baby Bear Creations

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98437

• *Joli*
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
Ya it doesn't look like it will help me to swop now. Will wait until baby is here and then change to maybe only a hospital plan where I can still go to any hospital. THX Vix :-).

Re: Discovery Hospital Plans 3 years 7 months ago #98584

• Kimika
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
Thanks Joli, sent you an email just now xxx
  • Page:
Moderators: julz, MissesMom