The Moomie Blog and Forum

Top Ad Google

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Whether you are breastfeeding, bottle-feeding or introducing solids, other moms are going through the same thing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: my daughter does not drink milk

my daughter does not drink milk 3 years 1 month ago #211977

• Nicolette
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi ladies. My 28 month old daughter stopped drinking milk at the beginning of the year. She had a bout of gastro, and just wouldn't touch milk after that. It's never really bothered me, but lately I've been reading how everyone else's children drink a LOT of milk. Should I be worried? She eats well (I think so, anyway!). She also has two little yoghurts a day. Please let me know if I should be concerned?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: my daughter does not drink milk 3 years 1 month ago #211994

• bulelwam
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Don't worry Nicolette, at all. I could go into how dairy really isn't good for us at all but I don't want to go into the politics of that right now.

If you're worried about her getting calcuim, there are many other sources like nuts and seeds and of course veggies....I hope she likes them.
You're probably thinking Nuts and Seeds for a 2 year old....
There are delicious recipes that you can try and home that use nuts and seeds and your little one will enjoy them.
You can make deserts and nut and seed bars that she can have.

Also you can try a non dairy milk, seed or nut milks. I make it at home and its delicious. Its also a very good source of calcium and protein. Once you finish making it, you can make smoothies with it or blend it with frozen banana to make mock ice cream.
My kids really like it. You can mix it with some cocoa to make chocolate milk.
The almond pulp is great too, put it in the fridge and sprinkle on cereal too.

Hope this helps. If you want more non dairy milk, or dairy free recipes, just give me a shout I have loads. The Almond milk though is my favorite.

B

Homemade Almond Milk
1 cup almonds
4-6 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-4 tablespoons agave *see below

You can replace the agave with honey or 5-6 dates as a sweetener if you like adjust sweetness to your preference. If you have an aversion to almonds you can make it with many other kinds of nuts, including cashews, pecans, and macadamias. You can also make chocolate almond milk by adding 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder or add cinnamon and nutmeg for a chai milk. Yum.

Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with water. Let soak for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.

Place all the ingredients in a blender. Cover tightly, and puree for a minute or so, until it's milky. There will be some foam at the top from all the blending, but this will recede upon sitting.

To give the milk a smooth texture, place a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth over a large bowl (if using cheesecloth makes sure it's tightly secured) and empty the almond milk into the strainer. Squeeze or use the back of a spoon to push through all the liquid. What you will end up with is almond pulp.

Keep the milk in a covered jar or container in the refrigerator; it should last for 5 days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juno

Re: my daughter does not drink milk 3 years 1 month ago #212004

• Nicolette
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
I saw these on the other post, thanks! My daughter loves cashew nuts as a snack. Will try out your recipes! My hubby's is lactose intolerant, and is now using rice milk - and I'm well aware that dairy is no good for us. That's why I wasn't concerned!

Re: my daughter does not drink milk 3 years 1 month ago #212016

• Betty_F
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Nicolette

I had the same problem with my son. He stopped drinking milk from about 2 years. He is now 3 1/2 years and eats yogurts like crazy, so hopefully he is getting some calcium from that. I also give him a vitamin supplement.

I spoke to a dietition about it and she said not to worry, not everyone likes milk, to carry on giving him yogurt and cheese and to give him a multi vitamin

Re: my daughter does not drink milk 3 years 1 month ago #212020

• Nicolette
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Betty. My little girl loves cheese too! What multi-vitamin do you give your son? I tried, but my little girl didn't like the ones I tried!

Re: my daughter does not drink milk 3 years 1 month ago #212112

• Kinderelomelo
  • ( User )
  • Double Platinum
  • Thank you received: 5
Nicolette

My daughter weaned herself off of any milk at 12 months. she refused it point blank after that. She loves yoghurt, Cheese and other products containing calcium. Lactose is good for brain development but there are other food items out there that provide lactose aswell. Don't stress about it, it's seriously not uncommon. My Son on the other hand refuses to give up his milk. He is still drinking 1 Litre of milk per day (usually all at night)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nicolette

Re: my daughter does not drink milk 3 years 1 month ago #212131

• julz
  • ( Moderator )
  • Thank you received: 36
Experts believe that our children are influenced by what we eat while pregnant with them. I am lactose intolerant and didn't drink milk on it's own while pregnant. Dylan's favorite food is chocolate pronutro, bread and pasta which is just about all I could eat as I had bad all day sickness.

I have never liked milk. Dylan hates it too. He was on soy until 2 and when I tried to introduce milk he refused it. He won't even drink it with milo or in a milkshake , but I am not worried as he eats yoghurt and other dairy products.

Our dietitian also said not to worry at all.
Mom of Dylan and Partner to Joerg. We live in the Beautiful Pringle Bay which is along the Whale coast, Cape.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: my daughter does not drink milk 2 years 9 months ago #219235

• MommyN
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I wouldnt worry. Sarah went onto formula at 11 months and stopped drinking it at 14 months. We just noticed that she would sip sip and just wasnt interested! She loves her rooibos tea though.....
  • Page:
Moderators: julz, MissesMom