The Moomie Blog and Forum

Top Ad Google

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Terrible two's and tantrums are common knowledge to the parent of a toddlers. However, toddlers are also loving, beautiful little people with so much to learn and share.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gift from Toddler to new born or visa versa?

Gift from Toddler to new born or visa versa? 2 years 3 months ago #226947

• Monic@R
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi there

I have heard that some people who are expecting their 2nd child - have a gift to give to the older child that comes from Baby when baby is born? And then visa versa - letting the older child pick a gift to give to the new baba?

Has anyone done this before?

I just want to know what your thoughts are on this topic? If you are one who will / or has done this - what gift did you give to your older child?

Do you give the older a gift/toy that is sentimental - that will last forever?
do you give them a gift/toy that will only last a few days/months to keep the child busy while you busy with baby?

Im thinking that I want to do this but im a bit stuck on what the gift should actually be.

I have a 3 year old LG and expecting another girl.
Do I give my 3 year old either:
1) a huge big teddy that she can keep always and always be reminded that her sister gave this to her?
or 2) Do i get her a baba with a pram and cot and the whole baba thing so that when im busy with baby - she can get her baby out and do the same?
or 3) do i get her something that will keep her entertained for a while and not be too interested in the baby?

help please - what would you do?

oh - I will also let my 3 year old go to the shop and pick a teddy of some sort that she can give to her little sister.....

What are your thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Gift from Toddler to new born or visa versa? 2 years 3 months ago #227001

• jupiter
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
Hi. I have only one child but I like your ideas. I think you should buy a doll that resembles a newborn, and accessories, a few weeks before your due date. You can use the doll to role play with your LG about caring for a newborn (changing a nappy, dressing, feeding, putting to sleep etc.) so she gets an idea of what it's like to have a real baby around. Then also get her a special teddy from the baby to her, and let her choose a gift for the baby. Good luck!

Re: Gift from Toddler to new born or visa versa? 2 years 3 months ago #227246

• cherikey
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Monic@R

I'm going to do the same thing... My LG will be turning 3 a few days after new baby arrives... I plan to get her a new baby doll for herself... She has a doll already, but it was a cheapy that i bought at Checkers about 2 years ago and she just loves it. She's got a million prams and a divine proper little cot someone gave us, so my plan is to her a nice new baby with a change of clothes, bottles, nappies, etc... So that mommy gets a new baby & Tori gets a new baby... and this of course will be a gift from her new sibling... We think it's a boy, but not sure...

Then i'll take her to reggies or something and get her to pick out something for the new arrival... Not really keen on a stuffed toy as we have a million that were given to her from her much older half brother... So we have stuffed toys coming out our ears & really don't need more... So perhaps a mobile or chewy toy or something like that she can pick for her brother/sister....

Re: Gift from Toddler to new born or visa versa? 2 years 3 months ago #227256

• Monic@R
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks so much!
I will get my 3 year old to pick out a special teddy for her sister.

Then I will get a new baba for my 3 year old - so that she can do what mom does when im busy with her sister.....

Re: Gift from Toddler to new born or visa versa? 2 years 3 months ago #227257

• Elamsmom
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi ladies

Thanks for the thread. People keep asking me if my 2 yr old knows and understands that there is a new baby coming... My answer: i'm not sure. Really. We do try to explain it to her, show her mommy's belly. Tell her she is getting a sister (which she calls "TITA" :laugh: ) She knows baby's name. and sometimes when i get home with stuff for baba she will say "For baby!" or "for Kea!" Other than that, I don't know how else to ensure that she is ready.

My LG is a bit young, but I love the idea of getting her also a baby. so mommy will have a new baby and she will also have a new baby. Think I'm going to do that.

Re: Gift from Toddler to new born or visa versa? 2 years 3 months ago #227302

• gloeiwurmpie
  • ( Global Moderator )
  • Thank you received: 86
All the ideas sounds great to me!

The babysense book suggests that young toddler don't understand the concept of a pregnancy and it is best not to talk too much about it in the beginning. To the end of the pregnancy when your tummy is showing more you can explain, but keeping in mind that they don't really understand!

They also suggested a box with small little gifts for when the baby is born and your child needs a special something when you are attending to the baby and can't give as much attention as previously. I wouldn't do this all the time, but having maybe some books or small treats of various kinds can help a toddler in those difficult moments when mom can't give attention.

Re: Gift from Toddler to new born or visa versa? 2 years 3 months ago #227675

• Tazzy
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
My LG was 2 yrs 10 months when her baby sister was born. I really expected this magical bonding session when she first met her sister. She was in absolute awe but she was also very upset, especially the first couple of days when the ba by would cry.
I bought a "baby" and wrapped it up, then took it into hospital the day I went in. So it was a present from her baby sister. She is just over 4 now, and still remembers that her sister gave her that doll.
And they do spend most of the day fighting over dolls now....... The joys! lol :laugh:
  • Page:
Moderators: julz, MissesMom