The Moomie Blog and Forum

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Esperide / Eglonyl

Esperide / Eglonyl 7 years 2 weeks ago #45895

• Mia_HannahsMommy
  • Gold Boarder
Hi there

Are there any moms who were taking Esperide / Eglonyl.

Just wanted to ask what dosage you were on, after how many months you stopped taking it, and did you "wean" yourself off it or just stop straight away?

also, did you have any side effects on it, like weight gain or loss of libido?

I'm currently on 1 Esperide (50mg) 3 times a day (for my milk production). Just wondering if it matters whether I stop slowly or just stop.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Esperide / Eglonyl 7 years 2 weeks ago #46058

• Reluc.t.ant M.o.m
  • Triple Platinum
  • Does not suffer fools gladly .....
  • Thank you received: 18
I started on Eglonyl after the birth of my daughter last year.

I did not need it, but requested it as I thought "well this can't do any harm" and I had only heard good things.

I had never had milk production problems, but I tend to solve problems before they occur, and my OBGYN had no problems with me taking them.

I did not really experience any side effects or issues.

I do however suffer from depression and maternity leave usually throws me to the bottom of the pit. I had my 3rd child in June 2009, and by July was seeking therapy and requesting anti-depressants as I was really struggling to cope.

My psyciatrist suggested I stop the Eglonyl - and said that though it worked well, I clearly did not need it and it would be better not to take it if I was going to take anti-depressants as well.

I went off it immediately, no side effects and my milk supply continued without any problems. I breastfed exclusively until 6 months and then introduced formula and the like.

My OBGYN also mentioned that if I need to come off it, I should just stop.

I did not have any negative effects from Eglonyl, and the abrupts stop, but I am sure there may be other moms who might have experienced negative side effects.

(I suffer with low libido and depression going in to it, so I cannot comment on whether Eglonyl made it worse or contributed at all ... I personally do not think it did.)
What keeps me (partially) sane ...
reluctantmom.wordpress.com/

What makes me smile ...
celestebarlow.wordpress.com/

What no one says out loud ...
dirtylittlesecretsmotherskeep.wordpress.com/

Off spring: 3 (ages range from 2 - 9 years old)

Struggling to juggle life, kids, work, my bottle of wine, without having a total humour failure.

I have a letter from my pdoc to say I am insane, so tread lightly with me, some days I can be a total bitch. I'm lying. Most days I am a total bitch.

I abhor smiley face icons. Just saying.

Re:Esperide / Eglonyl 7 years 2 weeks ago #46106

• gloeiwurmpie
  • Thank you received: 102
I was on it for 4 months. What a lifesaver!!
I took 3 pills a day. Yes, I did pick up some weight, since it increased my appetite. If you can, try not too go for the ice-cream treat every night like I did!!
Yes, my dr. advised to wean it over a period of a week or two. I remember people on the Pampers forum also advised to wean it slowly otherwise you hit a depro I think.
good luck!
I can't remember if it affected my libido since I think it was down the drown in any case from sleep deprivation...

Re:Esperide / Eglonyl 7 years 2 weeks ago #47612

• Kinderelomelo
  • Double Platinum
  • Thank you received: 5
I was on Esperide (50Mg 3x a day) from my second day in hosp with my #2 LO as with my first child I had no milk and had PND but never got anything to help with regards to those issues, just switched to formula and left the PND untreated... Stupid mistake. I asked for it straight away second time round. I had no ill side-effects at all and just stopped taking them one day. Had Milk and no PND, it's been 14 months now but I stopped BF in month 3 as well as the pills.

Re:Esperide / Eglonyl 7 years 2 weeks ago #47629

• KKROSE
  • Expert Boarder
I am currently on Eglonyl, baba is 4 months now. I take it 3 times a day. Last week I stopped taking it as I had to stop breastfeeding for a while, but I am back on it now. No side effects whatsoever.

Re:Esperide / Eglonyl 7 years 2 weeks ago #49076

• Reluc.t.ant M.o.m
  • Triple Platinum
  • Does not suffer fools gladly .....
  • Thank you received: 18
Eglonyl - just a note, often moms think that Eglonyl will assist with depression or baby blues.

The medicine is used to treat schizophrenia and depression, but it really does not do much for suffers of depression - this would not be your go to drug of choice.

Eglonyl can be used to booster milk production in lactating women, due to its prolactin stimulating side effect, and that is why OBGYNs prescribe it so easily.

However if you feel you are struggling to "keep it together" I really would suggest an appointment with a psyciatrist who can prescribe something that is better suited to any depression issues and can be used safely during breast feeding too.
What keeps me (partially) sane ...
reluctantmom.wordpress.com/

What makes me smile ...
celestebarlow.wordpress.com/

What no one says out loud ...
dirtylittlesecretsmotherskeep.wordpress.com/

Off spring: 3 (ages range from 2 - 9 years old)

Struggling to juggle life, kids, work, my bottle of wine, without having a total humour failure.

I have a letter from my pdoc to say I am insane, so tread lightly with me, some days I can be a total bitch. I'm lying. Most days I am a total bitch.

I abhor smiley face icons. Just saying.

Re:Esperide / Eglonyl 7 years 2 weeks ago #49285

• Mia_HannahsMommy
  • Gold Boarder
Ok, thanks.

Nope, I'm just taking it for the milk booster because I've got a little guzzle guts ;)

She's cute though, so she gets away with it :)

Thankfully I didn't have PND or anything like that with either of my girls. I do have moments where I doubt my ability as a mother and whether I'm doing enough for my girls, but I suppose everyone has those moments at some stage.